Tuesday, November 20, 2007

It keeps evolving

It was funny yesterday. Amethyst Rosencrans (owner of the ever-famous Amethyst brand) and Mo Noel (owner of the MoDesign brand) were trying to compile the RestrainedLife viewer on their respective MacIntoshes, using the patch I've released along with my Windows version. Also Loom Kish told me she could compile on a Mac as well.

It was really looking like a close competition ! I was at work, trying to cheer both of them up while offline, giving advices, hearing about their frustration... and they were trying so hard ! The Mac version was eagerly awaited, I can tell from all the IMs I've received earlier. Of course only one version was sufficient but it really was not a competition, I can assure you. In the end Mo published her version on RapidShare, and at the time of this writing, I've received a message from Orchid (sort of) saying that it's now available on her site (where the windows version is, check the links section). Thank you both, ladies, and I think a good deal of people are also very grateful for your efforts :)

I would like to say something quick about the Mac thing by the way... I like MacOS X, I dislike Windows. I'm now playing SL on a Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz Dual Core SantaRosa (15''), and I love this machine for the user-friendliness and overall look'n' feel. This machine has been bought with some of the money I earn on SL, and I thank all my customers for having given me to do so. But I'm on Windows, using Bootcamp, because the Mac viewer is known to be very buggy. That's why I went through all the pain of compiling the source on this... "operating system". Took me much longer than it should have, considering that it's supposed to be my job. End of the rant.

And now Henri Beauchamp (owner of the Cool Products brand) is trying to get it to compile on Linux, to complete the trio. He will integrate Nicholaz "The Mad Patcher" Beresford's patches, mostly aimed at fixing bugs and crashes. Which makes me think... I've been told that Nicholaz viewer + Marine viewer = a BDSM fan's dream. Hehe. I'll see what I can do. Nicholaz is ok that I integrate his patches, so it's up to me now.

It's evolving, so far it's still under control. The worst thing that could happen is to have 50 versions of the same viewer, compiled and maintained by as many people (all with good intents). I want only 3 viewers : Windows, Mac, Linux, all accessible from the same page (the wiki is good), that will make things easier.

No comments: